Saturday, June 16, 2007

Inexcusable Prosecutor Misconduct Warrants Further Suspension


Part two of this tragedy is almost done. The North Carolina district attorney who with held exculpatory DNA findings has resigned from his prosecutors post. In tears at his ethics trial, Mike Nifong said Friday he would quit as district attorney. Nifong admitted he got "carried away" during his discredited rape prosecution of three Duke University lacrosse players. Unfortunately, that is not enough. He needs to be suspended from private practice too. The legal profession has a duty to police itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt so sorry for those college boys.


Anne

Anonymous said...

The system should not be about winning. It should be about a search for the truth and about justice.


Peter

Ms Calabaza said...

I feel for Nifong's family and he almost got to me yesterday when he was crying, but what he did was unconcionable (s?). Those young men were facing 30 years in prison. Call me harsh, but I think he needs to be disbarred and prosecuted in criminal court for "obstruction of justice". As a mother, I would be livid that someone played with my son's life this way. . .

Anonymous said...

what he did was unexcusable. he tried to capitalize on this opportunity at the exxpense of these boys

Anonymous said...

One of legal pubs more serious stories. I note that one in four is pretty serious.

Rolo