Thursday, July 9, 2009
Not So Sweet Ending For Vincent Smith II. Who Fell Into A Vat of Chocolate
Sweets can kill! Legal Pub has warned before of the danger. Obesity Link. Now there is even more disturbing evidence that sweets can be fatal. Take the case Vincent Smith II. Smith was an employee at a New Jersey chocolate processing plant. He fell into a vat of hot chocolate and died. At the time, Smith, 29, was dumping raw chocolate into the vat for melting. He apparently lost his balance and fell from a nine-foot high platform into the chocolate. The initial trauma was to his head from the vat's agitator which stirs the chocolate.
Three others were on the platform. Only Smith fell. One immediately shut the machinery off but it was too late. Cocoa Services Inc., owns the facility that is managed and operated by Lyons and Sons. The vat was 8 feet deep, 14 feet long and 6 feet wide. The chocolate was being made for Hershey's when the accident happened. Smith was a temporary worker at the Cocoa Services Inc. plant.
While we extend our condolences to the family of Vincent Smith II, let us be reminded that perhaps there is yet another reason to watch what we eat.