Jones smelled fumes so she shut off the alarm and realized something was wrong. The fire was no accident. An arsonist used Molotov cocktails (glass bottles filled with an accelerant) through the windows. Police indicate the homemade bombs were two beer bottles filled with gasoline. Each bottle had a burned wick stuck in them. One of the bottles started a small fire in a bathroom. The daycare is near Lem Turner and Edgewood on the northside of Jacksonville.
Lula and her workers are attempting to clean and to sanitize the day care in order to reopen next week. Despite limited physical damages, authorities are taking the criminal act very seriously according to Lt. Robby Stephens, of the State Fire Marshal's Office. Fortunately no one was injured and physical damage was minimal. But what an idiot. Not only was it a crime, there ought to be a second count for wasting $3.29 a gallon gasoline.
Any one with information, please call 1-877-NO ARSON. A $2,500 reward is being offered.