Friday, January 2, 2009

Santika Night Club Disaster Photos Inspire 2009 Fitness Goals


Thursday morning's fire at the Santika Night Club in Thailand killed 59 people, most of whom died from smoke inhalation or were trampled to death in the rush to get out of the club. Rather then dwell on the posting of photos of 19 unidentified victims of the catastrophic nightclub fire in Bangkok in an attempt to identify victims, Legal Pub thought it best to discuss improving one's level of fitness in 2009. While New Years has come and passed, How many of us set a goal to get in better shape? A fitness program does not have to be structured. Here are some ideas from a fitness guru to get in better shape in the coming year without really trying:

1. Start a home-improvement project. Painting, hammering, lifting is all exercise.

2. Go to the shopping mall or Wal-Mart Super store at least 3 or 4 days a week and walk around. In fact, don't try to find the nearest parking spot. The walk from the parking lot to the store is good exercise in and of itself.

3. Do your own yard work. Not only will you save money, you will also get exercise doing your own mowing, weeding and mulching.

4. Wash your car. Forget about the automatic car wash. Improve the appearance of both you and your car as you become buff.

5. Take a break twice a day at work to walk to the water cooler. Drink the water instead of helping yourself to a soda.

6. Walk a dog. If you don't have one, offer to dog sit. Dogs love to go for walks.

7. Go on picnics where you have to carry an ice filled cooler across the parking lot or field. Think of it as strength training.

8. Twice a week perform isometric exercises whereby you tense all of your muscle for ten seconds and then relax. This will keep good muscle tone in your limbs.

9. Don't discount the benefit of doing calisthenics twice a week. Push ups, sit ups and jumping jacks are a good way to get in shape. Eight minutes three times a week is enough to put you on the right track to a better day.

10. Edit courtesy of 2008 New Poster of the Year, Katfish: Moderation in what you put into your body.

Update 2-16-10: Any further updates or comments on this story need to be sent to legalpub@legalpub.net and they will be posted accordingly

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horrible tragedy. I have often thought it could happen at one of the clubs in the Big Apple.

As for the exercise tips, wish that was all I had to do to keep my agent happy. :)

Shell

Anonymous said...

Maybe these ideas will shape me up...

Anonymous said...

I am feeling more fit already...

Anonymous said...

Those body bags are gross!

katfish said...

Great post Legal Pub!

How many of these horrible incidents have to happen before people realize pyrotechnics should never be used inside....

I really appreciate the second part of your post too, in our quest for convenience we really do cheat ourselves the opportunity to be fit. One tip to add...moderation in what we put in our bodies!

Happy New Year! All the best in 2009 to my friends here at Legal Pub!

Anonymous said...

Legal Pub, on this fitness stuff, you are just dead wrong. Consider that walking can add minutes to your life. This means that at age 85, you need to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $7000 per month. That could put any of us in the poor house!

Surfer Dude

Anonymous said...

My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60.
Now he's 97 years old and still walking. Unfortunately, we have no idea where he walked to...


Jester

Anonymous said...

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.

Don R.

Anonymous said...

The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

Furthermore, every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Bertha

Anonymous said...

Absolute necessary exercise for the appearance of being in shape. Get on your hands and knees. Suck in the air and your gut. Hold your gut as you exhale. Do this 10 times 4 days a week and I guarantee you your friends will sware you lost 10 to 20 lbs.

The Real Fitness Guru

(Hey folks, I charge actors and actors thousands of dollars for these type of tips! Fortunately for you all, this is my gift to Legal Pub because this forum rocks!)

katfish said...

Moi, New Poster of the Year for 2008?
Thank you very much Legal Pub! Coming from you, I'm honored!

Thanks as well for adding my tip...although now I feel compelled to actually practice what I preach.....Bertha pass me some chocolate....but just a little bit.
Jester, I think your gramps just walked by my house, he was looking for Bertha!

Anonymous said...

Katfish, You Rock!


Jester

Anonymous said...

Katfish, You Rock!


Jester

Anonymous said...

Good comments.