Olson's trip to a home in Savage, Minneapolis turned brutal when she was shot in the back. The 19-year-old suspect, John Michael Anderson, who apparently lived at home with his parents, allegedly stuffed the bleeding Olson into the trunk of her car.
Defense attorney Robert M. Speeter, said: "I think in a case like this, we'll just let the judicial process take its course.”
This was not the first time Olson had taken baby sitting jobs from the Internet. It was however her last. This particular ad was set up by "Amy." Matt Thiede, Olson's roommate believed that Olson had spoke with "Amy" and had commented that ‘she’ seemed "strange." (Insane would have been a better description.) The phone number and address apparently match Anderson’s address and cell phone number. Katherine was the daughter of Rolf and Nancy Olson.
It is possible that there may have been more unsolved crimes linked to use of Craigslist. Investigation continues. In the meantime Legal Pub warns:
1. Ask for references before meeting anyone from the Internet.
2. Verify the references.
3. Meet for the first time in a public place.
4. Bring someone with you when you meet for the first time.
5. Let other's know about the meeting and when you expect to be back.
6. Keep your cell phone handy at all times.
Update 3-16-09: The trial of Michael John Anderson is under way. May justice prevail.